Marriage License

Marriage LicenseWhere to Apply:Office of the County Clerk, Courthouse, 36245 Main St., P.O. Box 67, Whitehall, WI 54773-0067. Applications accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Office is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and all legal holidays.
When to Apply:An application should be made not less than 6 days prior to the date of marriage. The license becomes effective for 30 days after issuance following the 5-day waiting period.
Minimum Age to Marry:Eighteen (18) years of age. Between 16 and 18 years of age, parents' consent (both mother and father) or legal guardian's consent is required. Consent form available at the office of the County Clerk. Full and proper names are to be used on the consent.
Persons who may not Marry:

  • No marriage shall be contracted between persons who are nearer of kin than second cousins, except that marriage may be contracted between first cousins where the female has attained the age of 55 years.
  • A marriage may not be contracted if either party has such want of understanding as renders him or her incapable of assenting to marriage.
  • It is unlawful for any person, who is or has been a party to an action for divorce in any court in Wisconsin, OR ELSEWHERE, to marry again until 6 months after a judgment of divorce is granted.

FeeThe marriage license fee is $60.00, payable at the time of filling an application.
RequirementsBoth applicants must apply in person, bringing along:

  • A certified copy of their state birth certificate.
  • Proof of residence for at least 30 days immediately prior to application date.
  • A copy of judgment of divorce, court annulment, or death certificate terminating last prior marriage. Wisconsin Statutes make it unlawful for any person to marry again until six months from the date of the granting of a judgment of divorce, REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE DIVORCE WAS GRANTED. An application for a marriage license will be accepted no sooner than one week prior to the end of the six-month waiting period. Residents of Wisconsin must apply before the County Clerk of the county in which either is a resident. The license issued in that county may be used anywhere in the state. Non-residents (both out-of-state) must apply in the county in which they are to be married; the license issued would not be effective outside of the county.

Witnesses to a MarriageTwo witnesses, 18 years of age or older, are required.
WaiverIf necessary and for just cause, applicants may request a waiver of the five-day waiting period in order to meet a planned marriage ceremony date. The fee for granting a waiver is $25, in addition to the marriage fee.

For clarification of any information provided, call Paul L. Syverson at 715-538-2311 Ext. 201 or email .