Worthless Check Procedure

Worthless Check Procedure

Picture of person handing someone a checkSuggestions in dealing with Checks:
Obtain a driver's license number and date of birth from the check writer. Copy it onto the face of the check (upper right hand corner of the check, for example). It is difficult to issue a criminal complaint and impossible to issue an arrest warrant without this information. Do not trust a driver's license number that may be printed on the check. Copy it yourself from the actual license. Do not use a social security number as identification.

Have the store clerk who takes the check place his/her initials on the check.

Watch for post-dated checks. The date of the check must be the date that the check is given to you. If a check is post-dated, held or on an account, it is not a criminal check.

Do not take two party checks (they are not a crime).

Do not take out-of-state checks (we will not extradite on misdemeanor bad checks). If you take an out-of-state check, obtain a full middle name, date-of-birth and driver's license. Checks from out-of-state are very hard to collect restitution on.

Be extra careful with checks written on new accounts (check numbers 100-200)
Picture of a bounced CheckProcedures to Follow if You Receive a Worthless Check

  • Consider calling the check writer about the bad check. Be sure to document the date, time, who you spoke with and what arrangements were made to pay for the check.
  • Send a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the check writer. Keep a copy of the letter and mail receipt.
  • If no results within five days after the letter is received by the check writer, complete the questionnaire form you can obtain from the District Attorney's Office. (If you receive the green card back signed or the whole envelope back from the Post Office, keep this information).

Send to the District Attorney's Office

  • A copy of the Check.
  • The copy of the letter you sent the defendant.
  • The green certified mailing receipt or entire envelope that was returned by the Post Office.
  • The completed questionnaire form .

If you get paid from the check writer after turning the check over to us, you must contact our office at (715) 538-2311 ext. 279.

Mailing address:

District Attorney's Office
PO Box 67
Whitehall, WI 54773
Picture of a checkBad Checks ProsecutionThe Trempealeau County District Attorney's office prosecutes bad check cases. If you are a business or individual that has received a bad check and are not familiar with our offices procedure please give us a call:
(715) 538-2311, ext. 279

To report a bad check please use the attached report form to assure that we have all the information we need to either prosecute criminally or issue a ticket.

Contact Us
ext. 421 or 279

18600 Hobson Street
Whitehall, WI 54773

Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Closed Major Holidays